Anna Maria Island Historical Society Museum
See the Island's history like you have never seen it before.
There are many new features: a YouTube Channel to hear the old-timers' oral histories, walking and biking tours of Historic Anna Maria City, Holmes Beach, and Bradenton Beach, an Original Homesteader Map and much more.
Monday - Friday
10 am-1 pm
Closed Saturday and Sunday
Closed the month of September
AMI Trolley Stop "Crescent Drive at Pine Avenue"
402 Pine Avenue
Anna Maria, Florida 34216
Free admission! Donations are welcome.
More About Us
Like us on Facebook.
View our archives on eHive.
Watch oral histories from the Island on our Youtube Channel.
To arrange a private tour for your group, contact us at 941 778 0492 or
Anna Maria Island Historical Society Museum Complex
402 Pine Ave
Anna Maria, Fl
Our museum building was constructed in 1920 as an icehouse. It went on to serve as an automotive garage, a sea turtle hatchery, and a public administration building. In 1992, the City of Anna Maria began leasing the building to the Historical Society for use as a museum.
By Island Artist Marlane Wurzbach
The museum's exhibits tell the story of the first settlers on the Island and the legacy they left behind. It also covers the Island's fishing and baseball history. It includes archives of records and newspapers for research into families and businesses.
This historical cottage was originally built on the City Pier in 1920. In 1926, the cottage fell into the bay. It was pulled from the waters and became a family home on the Island for almost 50 years. In 2001, the cottage was moved to the Historical Park to save it from demolition. Lovingly restored in 2006 with money raised by the
AMI Historical Society, the Belle Haven Cottage is now furnished with heirlooms and antiques demonstrating early island life.
The Historical Park is the site of one of the original fresh water wells established on the Island. It was a park used for picnics in the early 1900s.
The Historical Park is now planted with drought and disease resistant native plants. The goal of this park is to educate the public on native plants and provide an example of eco-friendly landscaping.
The Old City Jail
The city jail was built in 1927 to "quarter the rowdies" who had had a bit too much to drink at the local tavern and dance hall. The jail was used until the 1940s, when it
caught fire. The wooden roof burned away, but the original tabby structure remained. The city decided to use the old jail as a photo op for visitors, so it was left standing and painted with its current slogan.
The jail is one of the most photographed attractions on the Island. Join a now 60 year tradition by taking a picture of yourself with the Old City Jail.
December through March: Join us on Tuesdays in Anna Maria City at the park across from the City Pier, to purchase
original Settler's Recipe Bread.
Proceeds benefit the AMIHS Scholarship Fund.